I could kick your asses at procrastination… seriously…
In light of all the fun I had teaching you this week I’ve begun my Life Awesome Instagram Project… It’s really addictive…
Yo Groupies… if you can get hold of Wag The Dog it is really rad… Do yourselves a favour and check it out…
Shameless plug I know but it does kind of relate to media… sort of…
Also it shows that I’m way meaner to my brother than I am to you guys…
Check this out Groupies… Please note that NUMBER 14 APPLIES… OK the rest apply too but number 14 REALLY AND TRULY APPLIES. Please may you all stop doing this… Google is WAY more intelligent and is faster than me too. USE THE FORCE LUKE!
Check out this super blog post…
They walk among us… I might even be one of them… I really hope I’m not… Notice how visual the writing is… we KNOW who the writer is talking about because of the quotes and descriptions…
Here are some KEY elements to writing a Feature Article… I’ve listed stuff so you can use it as a checklist…
Does it- Inform, Entertain & Persuade?
What is the Purpose of your article? – WHAT IS THE Mission of my Feature Article? (See Above)
Details- facts, analysis, opinion, interviews, anecdotes, descriptions… DETAILS!
Explore a range of issues, opinions, experiences and ideas.
Appeal to a PARTICULAR AUDIENCE
1. Brainstorm ideas
2. What’s the purpose?
3. Research the topic
4. Grab the reader’s attention
5. Keep that attention
6. Leave an impression
You should educate the reader. Big or small the reader should feel fulfilled, inspired, etc. They should feel like they’ve learnt something new and interesting.
The most common type of feature writing is the human interest story… HUMANS are important… use them.
1. Title & Headline: Do I have to go through this again?
2. The first paragraph or LEAD outlines the subject or theme of the article… I gave you options USE them!
3. NUTGRAPH: what is this? THIS MAKES YOUR STORY SIGNIFICANT- contextualises it… answers “SO WHAT?” Makes it newsworthy…YOU HAVE TO HAVE ONE… If you don’t know what it is then find out (not by emailing me).
4. The MAIN ARTICLE or BODY: consists of a number of paragraphs that expand the main topic of the article into subtopics. Often the 5W’s and H are explored in greater deal with experiences and anecdotes to reveal more…Subheadings are sometimes useful (exploring themes or main points). Can be structured as an exploration of the past present future. Structure is not just a “random” brain fart.
5. FACTS and stats to back up argument… VITAL! Grand generalisations and claims are not good enough.
6. Personal anecdotes or viewpoints- don’t TELL me- SHOW me…
7. Expert opinions
8. Quotes and interviews
9. Don’t be vague- give specific details like dates etc.
10. Visuals to help back up your story (correctly captioned)
11. WRITE IN THE CORRECT TENSE
WRITING STYLE (Don’t have to include all of this it’s some guidelines):
More personal tone
Can be humorous
Images and descriptions
PROOF READ AND THEN PROOF READ AGAIN AND THEN GIVE IT TO A FRIEND TO PROOF READ (THIS IS PART OF THE ASSIGNMENT)… AND THEN PROOF READ IT AGAIN… If your proofing is bad your article is bad… Firsts will be awarded to articles that I consider ready to publish…
So chaps and chapettes I found this beaut of a picture and not only is it totally RAD but my friend made such a wonderful comment that I had to share it. To put you in the picture he’s a film guru… i.e. he doesn’t just watch films but he makes them and teaches youngens to make them too. And yes I’m Chanster… Jackie Chan reference. No I’m not a martial arts expert although I can still kick your asses! (I am not advocating corporal punishment just relax.)
But this is beautiful lighting Chanster! You could save some money on gaffers. (Michael “you can leave your hat on” Hatton: 2014)
My new blog on writing… use it, don’t use it… This is a shameless shameless plug I know but what can I say… I punch children when I see this – !!!
Disclaimer: I don’t actually punch children that was in “” “” (which are sarcastrophes- TM pending)
Dashboard- My Blogs- hover over address and voila. In the words of Gordon Ramsay… DONE!